Please send your CV to:
Jobs - We offer Chances
Support for Enhancing Education and Skills in Myanmar
|Position||International & National Experts|
|Origin of funding||Asian Development Bank|
Many young entrants to the workforce lack skills needed for employment in a modern economy, while employers consistently cite weak human capital as a leading constraint on business. Secondary education and technical vocational education and training (TVET) are central to this human capital challenge. Secondary education supplies the largest share (50%) of entrants into non-agricultural formal wage labor. However, outdated, rote-based teaching and learning approaches mean that school-leavers lack foundation skills (e.g., literacy and numeracy) and soft skills (e.g., critical thinking, problem-solving, creativity, and communication skills). Likewise, TVET has struggled to equip youth with vocation-specific hard skills (e.g., construction or mechanical skills) and with entrepreneurship and other business-related skills. To address these challenges, as part of the National Education Strategic Plan, 2016–2021 (NESP), the Ministry of Education (MOE) has initiated reforms aimed at realigning secondary education and TVET to meet evolving labor market skill needs. ADB and the EU are committed to supporting sequenced reforms of the current NESP and subsequent national plans.
The TA will contribute to the longer-term objective to equitably enhance the education and skills base among Myanmar youth. Its expected short-term objective is priority secondary education and TVET reforms demonstrated successful and adopted.
We are looking in particular for TVET experts for Output 3, which will focus on supporting reforms to diversify TVET programs and better align with evolving labor market demands via two sub-outputs:
- Sub-output 3A: Development of revised curricula for government technical high schools and government technical institutes;
- Sub-output 3B: Expansion of TVET partnerships.
1. Output 3A: TVET curriculum reform planning/institutional development expert (international, 36 person-months)
- Provide leadership to coordinate output 3 activities with focal persons assigned by DTVET and with other consultants
- Conduct assessment of labour-market skill needs and relevance for introduction
of revised, diversified/new TVET programs in GTHS/GTI;
- Capacity development of DTVET Curriculum Development Specialists to (a) review the DTVET transitional plan and roadmap for reform of the GTHS curriculum, (b) assist with completion of the GTHS/GTI curriculum framework, and (c) support curriculum materials development which is sensitive to gender and other social dimensions;
- Support revision and/or development of selected priority TVET courses based on skills demand from the private sector;
- Support implementation of the revised/new TVET courses, including identification of training equipment needs in GTHS/GTI;
- Analyze capacity and identify gaps of trainers and management staff of GTHS/GTI for continuous professional development, including opportunities to gain industry experiences;
- Explore development of new and ICT-based pedagogies for trainers training;
- Support DTVET and other stakeholders (e.g., GTHS/GTI) to promote the private sector engagement in TVET programs;
- Conduct social marketing activities to promote TVET, especially for female and youth from disadvantaged groups; and
- Report to and coordinate with TA program manager and other experts for output 3.
2. Output 3A: TVET curriculum reform expert (national, 48 person-months)
- Support international experts in TVET curriculum reform planning/institutional development;
- Support the capacity development of DTVET Curriculum Development Specialists;
- Assist in facilitating consultation and capacity development workshops on TVET curriculum reform planning;
- Support implementation of CPD for TVET trainers and management staff of GTHS/GTI; and
- Provide inputs to ensure all activities reflect the local Myanmar context, importance of gender and other social dimensions, and provide local language support as
3. Output 3B: Contracts Manager for TVET Govt-INGO partnerships (international, 6
- Manage the INGO partnership contracting arrangements;
- Align activities with annual planning and monitoring of INGO contracted activities;
- Ensure compliance with the SOP of all INGO activities;
- Oversee overall contract administration; and
- Ensure coordination and continuity of the INGO partnership contract.
4. Output 3B: TVET Govt-INGO partnerships coordinator (national, 24 person months)
- Support management of the INGO partnership contracting arrangements;
- Check alignment of activities with annual planning and monitoring of INGO contracted activities;
- Ensure compliance with the SOP of all INGO activities;
- Oversee overall contract administration;
- Ensure coordination and continuity of the INGO partnership contract; and
- Provide inputs to ensure all activities reflect the local Myanmar context and provide local language support.
5. Output 3B: TVET government-industry partnerships expert (international, 6 personmonths)
- Coordinate/facilitate government-industry partnerships activities to train youth and/or existing workers for upskilling and reskilling;
- Support development of operational guidelines for piloting Government-Industry Training Partnership Fund (GITPF);
- Develop capacity of DTVET and key stakeholders to manage the GITPF, including proposals processing, financial management and communications; and
- Ensure due diligence process of engaging private sector entities is being reflected
in the operational guidelines and duly followed.
6. Output 3B: TVET government-industry partnerships coordinator (national, 24
person-months). Aligned with tasks of international expert on TVET government-industry
- Assist with coordination of partnership activities including administration and management of events, financial management and publicity; and
- Provide inputs to ensure all activities reflect the local Myanmar context, including gender and other social dimensions, and provide local language support as needed.